We’ve officially started a new month! How exciting!
If your January was a bit of a wash-out or plagued with colds and runny noses, don’t worry, a new month is like another fresh start! I love fresh starts!
After reviewing my progress with my goals last month, I decided that I should also make some plans going forward. Now that I can see what was working and what wasn’t. And what my biggest hurdles were last month, I feel more equipped to press forward.
So going forward this month I’m going to focus on 3 things:
Focus 1: Morning Routine
A few of my goals depend on this going well – my prayer journal, writing for the blog and well, the routine itself!! Yes, I think this will be my biggest challenge this year (especially in the colder months). I HATE leaving my nice warm bed, so it’s a real sacrifice to pull the covers off in the morning!!
I’ve been thinking about different tactics to help make this easier – because until something becomes a habit it may as well be like climbing Mount Everest! As The Good Book says in Matthew 26: “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak”.
Activation triggers I could use to help me are:
- Putting my alarm clock across the room at night
- Buying a coffee machine to have a warm brew ready and waiting and the delicious smell floating through the house when I get up…mmmm (Did I mention to hubby that it’s Valentines this month??? :))
- Setting out my clothes the night before so that I can get moving and not stay in my bathrobe til noon! (Yes, I homeschool!)
- Clearing my desk at night so that I can easily write in the morning without excuses.
- Get some coloured pens for my prayer journal to make it more fun (any excuse for more stationery!!)
Most of these activation triggers don’t cost anything (I’ve got pens around the house I could put together just for my journal). They all, however, require advanced planning. Often requiring me to do something the night before.
Oh boy. I’m no good the night before.
I find that I have most of my energy in the morning – after breakfast and before lunch. After lunch, body wants to slow down and after dinner, my brain definitely wants to shut down!!
Perhaps I could set some of these things up in the morning!! Yay! Can you see how the simple fact of getting this all out and on paper is helping me to process and focus? You really should try this too!
OK! So, going forward I know I need to:
- Collect a few colourful pens to keep in my quiet time basket.
- Set my clothes out for the next day in the morning after I’ve made my bed.
- Clear my desk in the afternoon before my energy is gone for the day.
- Speak very sweetly to hubby about a coffee machine 😉
- Possibly think about buying a cheap alarm clock to stay on my dresser so that I don’t have to rely on my foggy brain to put my phone across the room at bedtime.
Focus 2: Update and Revamp my Singing Website
My deadline for this goal is 28th February, so I really want to get this done and dusted this month. I would say I’m more than halfway there, so this goal shouldn’t be too difficult. It just requires me setting aside some computer time for this task.
But I’m looking forward to getting this done so that I can move on to another singing related goal next month!
Focus 3: Declutter my Kitchen & Living Room
It feels like I’m always decluttering! But I kinda want this to be a once-and-for-all-time declutter. Know what I mean? I feel like Mr. Incredible sometimes – “I just cleaned up this mess, can you just keep it clean for 10 minutes!”.
What I want to achieve here is to declutter these areas to a point where the day to day management of them helps them to stay decluttered. I purchased the Conquer Your Clutter Bundle recently and I know this has come at just the right time for me!
I know my kitchen will be the hardest one because I use a lot of bits and bobs and weeding them down to the basics will be difficult. Especially since I love to cook, bake and generally experiment in the kitchen. But I also know that Robert Dyas have a 50% off sale on their kitchen items this month. So perhaps I might look into getting a new gadget that will combine two of my existing gadgets together. And thus save precious space in my kitchen!
So I figure, I’ll give myself three weeks for the kitchen and one week for the living room.
And that’s it friends! These are my 3 focus areas for February. I’m feeling ready to jump right in now!
How about you? Do you need to re-focus this month to make sure your actions are aligned to your priorities and goals? Are there any things you need to do differently this month to help you be more productive?
This post contains affiliate links. Read more in my disclosure policy.